Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lesson Out of Context

Two of my cohort mates and I planned and implemented a science lesson recently to a class we had only observed for one one-hour lesson prior to teaching. It was an experience of mixed emotions and thoughts. Our lesson didn't crash-and-burn, but it also didn't go as well as it could. A lot of our issues I feel sprang from the issue that we didn't know the classroom nor the kids well enough to anticipate the nuances of our lesson delivery to these students in particular. We had little to no relationship with these students, and we had very little context for how our lesson fit with the overall unit and how the students had been learning the material. Had I known what the lesson would end up like with these particular students, I would have planned it much differently.

I'm not writing this post to complain nor am I looking to sit here and think of every single thing I could have or should have done differently. I know that in my own future classroom, I will have context for my students and my lessons. I will be able to have more wiggle room for adjustments and follow-up lessons.

But, I am also thinking about two other related things. One is the importance of getting to know your students to create a leaning environment that will work for each individual and for the class as a whole. Teaching this lesson really drove home through an actual personal experience of how much of an impact knowing your students makes.

Another important thought sprung from this experience is the thought of substitute teaching. Many teachers substitute teach every day, and I may need to substitute teach sometime in the future. In this situation, you will most likely get lesson plans given to you for the day. But what about knowing students and implementing those lessons? What about the emergency substitute situation where you are thrown in not knowing the students and without detailed lesson plans? These are things I am realizing I need to start thinking about if I am going to be a successful and wanted substitute teacher anytime in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment