Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Where I'm From

-->
I am from acres and barns
owned for five generations
where weather patterns are important
I am from home improvements and projects
handcrafted in dad’s shop.
from the willow who wept
when the tree house fell out.

I am from lefse across the field,
from a blue Dodge colt vista
on two lane county roads.
I am from carsick family bonding,
from summer camps, enrichment,
and empty school hallways.
I’m from you two look so similar
and you look nothing alike
from old family recipes
made up on the spot.
I’m from you’re the light of my life’s
and singing before sleep,
from Lutheran quarrels
and suppressed emotions
with the family rifts they caused.
I am from music and instruments,
piano played by my mom,
from waking to Raffi
and afternoon spongebob
at every stage of my life.

I am from cats, chickens, and a rabbit
half gone to coyotes,
the other half to time.
I’m from corn fields camouflaging
barn kittens gone feral
and what it cost to get rid of them all.
I am from soccer cleats and turf shoes
injuries and proud bruises
at every time of year.
I’m from raspberry bushes in an orchard
separate from the garden out back.
From bonfires and fire pits
and the roasting of slugs.
I am from frog songs, train calls,
and silent starts in the clean air of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment