Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pacing

During my first week back at my student teaching placement, I had the opportunity to take over teaching quite a few lessons. For some reason, I found pacing my lessons to be much more difficult than I had found in the past. I'm wondering if this is because I've learned more about teaching and all the different ways students can and should be taught. I've learned so many new strategies and techniques, and I'm trying to use them all in my teaching. However, now that I'm using all of these strategies, my lessons have become too long and the students haven't been getting enough work time. What's better: to make sure every student learns during every lesson but have decreased work time, or make sure the students get enough work time and seek out those that didn't get it during the lesson individually? It's another part of the balancing act.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about very similar questions. In part, many of the lessons I taught this past week covered material that could benefit from a bit more time. Perhaps my opinion will change after years of teaching. For my lessons, there was such an expectation (set by the curriculum) to cover new vocabulary and processes that there was little time to review problems together or allow students to discover something. I guess for me, it is more a battle in my own self between wanting to adjust things to allow space for these new strategies but knowing that there is a very particular pace in the class that works for this teacher.

    ReplyDelete